Thursday, January 19, 2012

curvesRkicken VS the HRM!

I'm a list maker and a fact tracker.  I love free flowing gel pens, cute books to write in, and gadgets like body media, HRMs and my Android!

Oh and my BLOG! 

I don't like my pictures but I WILL!

Being a list maker and a fact tracker is important; helps you stay focused and see trends.  I'm a firm believer in this practice.  You can't see where you're going if you don't know where you've been.

Loseit.com is a great tracker as is body media.  Loseit.com comes with a cheering section though.  Who doesn't need a good ole back patting every once and awhile?

I've noticed though, I shouldn't go by the machine or loseit.com's calorie calculator.  To be honest I already knew that, I got complacent, fancy word for L A Z Y.  By not using my HRM and pushing myself into a sweat, well, I'm only cheating myself.  And so are you, especially those of you who are logging in house work.  Baby steps are important, but even babies learn to walk at some point!

HRM is the way to go.

Estimate your maximum heart rate MHR by subtracting your age from 220.  Multiply your MHR by 65% and 90% to calculate your target heart rate zone.

MHR=220-43(my age)=177

65% training intensity=0.65X177=115
90% training intensity=0.90X177=159

To gain fitness benefits, I would have to exercise at an intensity that raises my heart rate between 115-159 bpm.

Save your pennies and get a Heart Rate Monitor!

A lower heart rate translates a longer life. 

By increasing your heart rate during exercise you lower your resting heart rate.  Think about it.  By pushing your heart 30 min to 60 minutes a day your heart works less hard throughout the day.  More beats per minute at a resting heart rate equals more stress on the heart, you want to live longer or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment